Today, September 10, is World Suicide Prevention Day.
Did you know?
- Data from The World Health Organization (WHO) indicates that 1 million people die every year of suicide worldwide
- There is one death by suicide every 40 seconds
- There are more people lost to suicide than to homicide and war combined
- Suicide ranks as the third leading cause of death worldwide among 15-19 year olds
- More than 100,000 adolescents die by suicide each year worldwide
- Highest rates of suicide are among those age 75 and older
- Up to 90% of people who take their own life have a psychiatric disorder
- According to the Trevor Project, LGB youth are 4 times more likely, and questioning youth are 3 times more likely, to attempt suicide as their straight peers
- LGB youth who come from highly rejecting families are up to 8 times as likely to have attempted suicide as LGB peers who reported no or low levels of family rejection
- Nearly half of young transgender people have seriously thought about taking their lives and one quarter report having made a suicide attempt
If you or someone you know needs support, contact the Trevor Project hotline at 866-488-7386 voice/vp, visit Suicide.org and/or reach out to family or friends. You are loved.